Monday, November 15, 2010

Bread Crumb Topped Cod with Scalloped Potatoes

I have found my new flaky (yes, I looked it up) love. No, Michael isn't in jeopardy of loosing out at the top spot. I mean fish. I love flaky white meat fish. I have come to the conclusion that I don't like alot of types of fish. Cod is fairly new to us. It has now become one of my favorite flaky white fish, the first is Halibut. Oh, I know. I've used  tilapia, orange roughy, and snapper too. I just think cod is much more adaptable to flavorings, a blank canvas if you will.
This photo from Sunday Suppers at Lukes was my inspiration for this dinner. I just found it to be intoxicating. Actually all of his food is remarkable, I only wish he still had time to blog, and also gave up more of his recipes. Like the talented bloggers; Natasha at  5 Star Foodie and Lazaro at Lazaro Cooks . I just don't know how they find the time to make such elaborate looking plates. Natasha has children and Lazaro works all day. Such an inspiration these bloggers are to me, that I am awed by them on every visit to their virtual kitchen.
In any event, this was my simple attempt at not serving a protien on one side of the plate and the starch thrown down on the other side. I do intend to do alot more research on those fancy emulsions and sauces.

The assemblage for the Potato Gratin with Leeks.


















First saute leeks in butter until soft and semi transluscent. Next add flour and cook a few minutes to disperse the raw flour taste, do not let flour brown. Next add milk slowly while wisking to eliminate any lumps. Season with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg if you prefer. Add chopped chives.

Layer very thinly sliced potatoes (a mandoline is a wonderful tool to do this with) into a large casserole dish. Alternating a layer of potatoes with some of the bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of smoked paprika.

This was so simple, yet so delightful.

Make your own fresh breadcrumbs and do not toast them. I added some simple chervil, salt and pepper to my fresh breadcrumbs. You can season them however you like, just don't go overboard. Oil your fish, a little more salt and pepper, and press only the top side of your fish into the breadcrumbs. Making sure to press down hard enough to get a nice coating on the top, and only the top. In a medium-high skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and placing breadcrumb side down, saute fish for about 3 - 5 minutes. You will see the fish begin to turn from raw to an opaque white, which lets you knnow when to turn it. Gently turn fish over and saute another 3 minutes. It is imperative that you do not overcook the fish. Then you loose the delicateness of it.



Potatoes and Leeks Gratin
from Recipe Addict

Ingredients
3 large boiling potatoes, (I prefer Yukon Golds), sliced into1/8 inch rounds
1 large leek, trimed and washed
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons chopped chives
smoked paprika


Directions
In a sauce pan cook the leeks in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened. Stir in the flour and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a stream, whisking vigorously until the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chives, salt and the pepper, and simmer the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is thickened to the desired consistency. Layer sliced potatoes in a buttered 9 x 13 casserole. pour bechamel sauce over top and sprinkle with paprika. Cover ith foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes more, or until top is golden and bubbly
Serves 4 to 6.



Bread Crumb Topped Cod
from Recipe Addict

Ingredients
2 Cod fillets cut into approximately 4 x 4 squares
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chervil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions
Season fresh bread crumbs with the chervil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Rub cod with oilve oil. Season with salt and pepper. Press only the top side of the halibut down into the seasoned bread crumbs. Pressing hard to coat generously. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Placing breadcrumb side down, saute fish for about 3 - 5 minutes. You will see the fish begin to turn from raw to an opaque white, which lets you knnow when to turn it. Gently turn fish over and saute another 3 minutes. 
 Serves 4 to 6.



We're linking this to:
                                                                          
Fat Camp Fridays
Sundays at One
Friday Favorites
Recipe Swap Sundays
Potluck Sundays
What's on your Plate?
Recipe Swap Thursdays
Mouthwatering Monday
Delicious Dishes
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
Tuesdays at the Table
Recipe Swap
Friday's Favorite



Bread Crumb Topped Cod

Fish, Entree, Bread Crumbs

See Bread Crumb Topped Cod on Key Ingredient.






Bread Crumb Topped Cod on Foodista
Carla and Michael

5 comments:

  1. Carla - For some reason I've been blocked from your site for the passed few weeks? I'm so glad that I can visit with you now. This looks like a fabulous meal and one that my family would love. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Anything with cheese, I'm on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla,

    Glad to meet another Soupie. I have been looking at your soup recipes. They look great. Glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, this looks fabulous! I also love cod--I think it's highly underrated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, just dropping by to say I am sharing this recipe on my Wednesday post wandering links. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our friends.