Friday, January 8, 2010

100 Year Old Spaghetti and Meatballs..


  Okay, okay. They're not a hundred years old here. The recipe is claimed to be 100 years old. See it here: Grandma Maronis Meatballs Courtesy of Food Network; which was one of the episodes of Throwdown with Bobby Flay.  Well, all in all they were meatballs, great texture but sort of bland.  They needed a little more seasoning.  Next time I will add more seasoning.  Or maybe I'll try one of Giada's recipes for meatballs.

  Nooo... I am not a FN addict.  Just don't ask Michael or my Mom.  I'm sure they will tell you some made up story of how I can't leave the house on Saturday mornings until I've seen the "new" programming.  HA!
    TV 3 

  However, here I must add that I am so glad that Chef Jose Garces won The Next Iron Chef.   I have been following him for years and felt all along he was the best choice.  Even though Iron Chef is not on my list of must watch shows.  Giada is though!  I am an Italian food addict.

  Anyhow.  This is the recipe for the meatballs.  Very minimal seasonings, however they do have a great texture or mouth feel if you will.   At least I had the presence of mind to use a well seasoned  Marinara Sauce that I had made from scratch and simmered while making the meatballs.  That one I'll save for another post.

Grandma Maronis Meatballs
Recipe Courtesy Mike Maroni

Ingredients

1 pound ground chuck
4 ounces dried bread crumbs
4 large eggs
4 ounces whole milk
6 ounces grated Romano
3 ounces grated Spanish onion
2 ounces finely diced fresh garlic
2 ounces finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 ounces finely chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in large bowl. If mixture seems a little loose add more bread crumbs.
Roll meatballs loosely about the size of a golf ball and place on baking sheet. Place into preheated oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes.



I will use this recipe as a base but will have to figure out what other spice ratio to add to pep it up a bit.  Until I found this recipe my meatballs used to be too dense.
Michael and Carla

5 comments:

  1. No pork... and ground chuck... needs some fat in the meat.

    But, i am a huge bobby flay fan, which is about three hours a day on the FN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla & Micheal, I have heard of heirloom tomatoes, but not 100 year old meatballs. So, I am glad you clarified your title. But they do look delicious and I like the simplicity of ingredients. This will be a great meal to have one of these cold winter nights. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 100 years old recipe and still around.. must be really good! I love meatballs and this sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all, i was so glad when garces won iron chef--he definitely deserved it! secondly, i need a lot of seasonings and juice in my meatballs, and when they taste right, they're one of my favorite things to devour in the winter. and summer. and spring and fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great meatball recipe. I'm a Bobby Flay fan also and wish they would give him a serious program instead of the throw downs.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our friends.