Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Creamy Chicken Pasta Primavera

  Today has been in the low 60's and raining for most of the day. Oh yeah, same as yesterday! DH had decided tonight is another "meat and potatoes night" so he grilled Strip Steaks and with that we did the cursory Garlic Parsley Potaoes with a small side salad.
  This post is from last nights dinner which came to us from a picture on a box. Here is how the picture came to fruition. We had bought ourselves a new Electric Skillet last week that we found on sale for a really good price. Our other electric skillet is vewy, vewy  small and vewy old. (Yes I am old enough to remember Elmer Fudd, FUNNY? Not so much!).  This new skillet is a huge one in comparison, a 7 QT. Family Size. (I can cook bacon on one side, potatoes o'brien in the middle and eggs on the other end - HA). Well any way, wouldn't you know there was a large picture on the box of this wonderful looking pasta dish. Oh, the power of suggestion can be so strong at times! So after assessing the picture for days this is what we came up with and might I say ours looks as good as the picture did.

 So after researching the web for a fitting recipe I found this: Creamy Chicken Primavera . I adapted it to suit my preferences.

  First I baked my chicken breasts in the oven at 350 degrees with a sprinkling of salt, pepper and olive oil. Thank Ina Garten for that one ; ) ! When cooked through set aside to cool to the touch.

Chop carrots, zucchini, onions and mushrooms.

  Then par boil the carrots, zucchini and peas for approximately 3 minutes. Do NOT throw this water out as you can now start your choice of pasta cooking at this point. Use a fine strainer or a chinese spider to pull out your veggies.

Immediately stopping the par boil in an ice water bath.
Reserving vegetables to the side.
          
  I then sauteed the onions first in olive oil and a tblsp. of butter until just translucent on medium heat and here I say it depends on your stove as to how long that will take. Every stove and oven has different calibrations as to the heat; be it a new appliance (perfect heat) or older appliances such as mine is (not so perfect) - my oven actually runs about 25 degrees hotter than the than the "dial " is set for so I adjust accordingly. Next I added to the onions the mushrooms and cooked until they were just beginning to soften. Then I added another of my own twists to this recipe, 1/2 cup of white wine and let reduce until almost evaporated. Next add carrots, zucchini and peas and cook until all are tender. At this point chop chicken into small cubes and add to vegetables and reduce heat to low. Here I added the oregano and thyme instead of the basil and I let it cook with a lid slightly vented for about 3 to 5 more minutes adding a splash of water as skillet gets dry. Finally adding the "cheat sauce", (mine was a garlic - cheesy blend,) and 1/4 cup of half and half to thin out the thickness of a jarred sauce. (Hey, I started out late in the evening!). Add pasta and let it warm through. Test for sesonings and add more salt and pepper if needed. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese and a few chopped sprigs of parsley.

  All I can say is Magnifico. This I will make again. And again. And again. You get the point. Try it, you'll like it! - Okay, I know I am showing my age. Oh well.
  Hope somewhere out there it is not as rainy and gloomy looking as we are here this week. I just want the fall weather without all the rain. However I think this will be a good week for Michael to make his Chili for me. We'll see what happens. I'll let you know.
Michael and Carla

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing better than a warm creamy sauce to bring out the flavors. Your twist on Pasta Primavera is "comfort food" at its finest.

    Carla, you said it best ~"Magnifico!"

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our friends.