Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Greek Style Frittata - This Would be Great for Mothers Day

   It is time again for this weeks IHCC theme from Mark Bittman. It's Breakfast in Bed since this coming Sunday is Mothers Day. With that being said, I have to let you all know that this is surely going to be one of the saddest Mothers Days for Michael and I. We will be going to a double memorial service this coming Thursday for his parents. Suffice it to say that I will not be posting again until next Monday. I do want to wish all of the moms out there a Happy Mothers Day.

  Mother's Day Basket 1

  This is the breakfast I wish I were cooking this coming Sunday for our mothers. You can find it in How to Cook Everything on pages 804 and 805. It is one of his variations of the Tomato and Cheese Frittata.


Simple ingredients.


Greek Style Frittata
Recipe Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman


Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked, chopped spinach
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon chopped oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
6 to 8 eggs


Directions

Put olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Beat the eggs with some salt and pepper.
Pour eggs into skillet adding spinach, oregano and feta cheese over top.
Cook undisturbed, until the eggs are barely set, 5 to 10 minutes.
(You can set them further by putting the pan into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes-which I did-, or you can run it under the broiler for a minute or two.) Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

Makes 4 Servings 


  The two things I did (wrong): I only made one serving=2 eggs and I used the smallest skillet I have. Which did not allow my frittata to puff up as it should have. The next time I make this (and I will) I will make the full recipe and freeze the remaining slices. I also would have gone with an addition of some diced, sauteed onion.
  I have to say this was just wonderful. I often make this as either an omlette or a scramble. I love the combination of spinach and feta in anything.



IHCC




Greek Style Frittata - This Would be Great for Mothers Day

A Greek infused Frittata.

See Greek Style Frittata - This Would be Great for Mothers Day on Key Ingredient.




Greek Style Frittata - This Would be Great for Mothers Day on Foodista
Michael and Carla

13 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry to hear about your parents in law passing away. Very sad, indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    The frittata would make a wonderful Mother's Day breakfast. I too love the combination of spinach and feta.
    I will keep you and Michael in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love frittata's. My best to you and your husband during such a trying time. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers go out to you and your family. I love your recipe but hate to eat in bed- nothing more maddening than toast crumbs in your pj's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love frittatas!!!They are so versatile and simple to make....this sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, what a delicious fritatta. I've always liked it because it's so easy. Spinach and feta are such a great addition. Thank you!

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This frittata is fabulous with greek flavors! I'm so sorry about your parents-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, how terribly sad for you and Michael. Know that I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fritta looks great! And I am really sorry about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss.
    I chose a frittata, also - more-vegetable-than-egg. It was my first and tasted better than it looked:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your frittata looks great. I love feta in just about anything!
    Also, very sorry for your sad weekend and for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The frittata is lovely.

    Very sorry to hear about the tragic loss to your family. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful looking frittata. I would make the whole recipe too - I love cold, leftover frittata the next day sandwiched between some fresh ciabatta bread.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your family.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our friends.